Tuesday, May 16, 2017

My Review of Dying Valentine by Calvin Demmer

This was an interesting, short read in the horror genre, as the title may suggest.  I found it both interesting and creative, if not a little confusing. But I believe the confusion was intentional--as in a sort-of red herring here and there--and while it did leave me a little befuddled, it certainly wasn't a bad read or a waste of the thirty minutes or so it took to read.
My dying Valentine, sweet bloody Valentine....

The story opens with our main character, Daniel, on his way to meet his girlfriend's parents. Unfortunately, he is involved in an accident on the way, striking a pedestrian, and through some bizarre twists and turns, he ends up back at his house with the victim (she seems to be fine) who does what all strange women who have just been hit by a car do--takes off her clothes and demands money
Of course, Daniel loves his girlfriend and isn't tempted by this apparently psychotic speed bump, but things go from bad to worse when his girlfriend actually shows up at his house.
Daniel does what every cool dude might do and introduces his girlfriend to the weird woman from the road--and then leaves. I don't want to give away the ending, but let's just say it involves a blood bath. No really.
I will say that I absolutely did not see the ending coming--or even the few steps leading to the ending, for that matter. I was really thrown off by a few things that happened, and they didn't make sense at all, which, as I said, I believe was intentional. At least that's the theory I'm going with! There was a lot of intentional misdirection.
This is a very short read--only 25 pages according to Amazon--and it's only 99 cents. It will likely leave you shaking your head, which isn't a bad thing. It's definitely not like anything I've read before!
You can find Dying Valentine here, but you don't have to wait until February to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment