Sunday, June 11, 2017

My Review of Eternal Flame: A Rose of Anzio Story by Alexa Kang

If you like time traveling historical fiction with some sweet young adult romance, then this is the right book for you! Eternal Flame: A Rose of Anzio Story by Alexa Kang has something for everyone. I couldn't put it down! (Luckily, I didn't have to go to work today so it doesn't matter that I stayed up until 1:00 AM finishing it last night!) It truly is one of those books you'll be thinking about while you're not reading it and will stick with you long after you've finished it.
The story is set in Chicago in 1989, and if you're a child of the '80s like I am, the references to pop culture will take you back. I love how Kang was able to wind so many different songs and television shows into each scene. Each one took me back to my younger days.
Our main character is a young lady named Julia who has recently moved into a large, old house. She's having boy troubles, and just when it seems like her world is falling apart around her, she finds the photo of a World War II soldier in a clock in her room, left their by the previous owners.  She winds the clock, and when she does so, she unknowingly opens a portal to 1944.
While Julia can't go back in time through the portal, the soldier in the photo, Ed, can come through. At first, he is shocked to find out he's been transported forty-five years into the future, but it is his home and his furniture in Julia's room. After the initial awkwardness is over, Ed and Julia become great friends. He can go back and forth through the time portal, but there are certain rules that dictate the time and date he can use it.
As Ed continues his visits, Julia begins to realize she has feelings for him beyond their friendship. When she realizes he feels the same way, they begin to focus on finding a way they can be together despite the fact that he is from the past.  Julia would love for him to choose to stay in the future with her, but Ed has a duty to perform, and like any good soldier, he is determined not to turn his back on his brothers in arms. To find out if they are able to make their love last for all time, you're going to have to read the book for yourself.
Since my grandfather served in World War II, I could really relate to this story. When Kang discusses life in the 1940s, she's spot on, as she is with her references to the 1980s. I loved being immersed in both of these two time periods as they are both very relevant to my life. Her characters are likable, and you can't help but want Julia and Ed to find a way to be together.  I also love how she incorporates time travel without it becoming overwhelming or too science-fiction-y.  I didn't feel compelled to find out "why" the portal worked, I just knew that it worked, and that was enough.
This is a really great read that hits a lot of genres in one way or another.  If you like historical fiction, romance, young adult, or time travel you will find something to love in this book. You can find it on Amazon here.  The current price is $0.99 but I think that is a limited time, promotional price that may change. This is definitely one of the best books I've read in a while, so if you're looking for some summer reading, I highly recommend Eternal Flame: A Rose of Anzio Story by Alexa Kang.

No comments:

Post a Comment