Friday, July 21, 2017

My Review of Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

I highly recommend you read Raven's Peak (World's on Fire Book 1) by Lincoln Cole, but I wouldn't recommend you do what I did--read it late at night and then try to go to sleep. It's no wonder I've been so tired this week....
The story opens with the Reverend (a.k.a. Arthur) being released from prison to try and find his adopted daughter who is believed to be dead. Cole quickly draws us into his world, and we find out that Arthur is actually a demon hunter, as is his daughter. The prologue ends with Arthur finding his daughter and trading his soul to a demon so that she can be released.
Raven's Peak--don't read it at night!

Fast forward a few weeks and we are introduced to our actual main characters--Haatim, a young man who is trying to balance his religious believes with the loss of his sister, and Abigail, who happens to be Arthur's daughter, the one he traded his soul for. And she is also a demon hunter.
Fate brings these two together, and they end up in the small town of Raven's Peak, Colorado, where a demon has come to play. Abigail and Haatim have to act fast if they are to save the innocent citizens of Raven's Peak from the demon. They will risk their lives and their souls for people they don't know to try to stop total destruction from either the demon or the Council, the organization Abigail works for who are insistent that the demon not escape, no matter the cost.
I really liked this book a lot. While I'm usually more of a vampire hunter kinda girl (paranormal romance is my jam, or whatever the kids are saying these days) I do like a good action scene. Abigail is ferocious and courageous. Haatim is like just about every mere mortal I know--terrified and ready to run away. I can identify with Abigail because I'd like to be her. I can identify with Haatim because I'm probably more like him. In the end, his actions would make any mother proud.
This is a well-told story that will keep you turning pages late into the night (which is a problem if you want to sleep after you put it down!) and Cole finely crafts the plot to keep it moving and interesting. The main story arch is resolved, but we are led into the next book in the series, so keep that in mind if you don't like cliff-hangers at all. I don't mind a new story to keep me hooked so long as the main story has a resolution.
This book was published by Kindle Press, so I was a little surprised that there were some editing mistakes. It was nothing major, but I know they provide editing so I'm surprised they missed more than one or two things. It didn't take me out of the story though.
If you like paranormal, horror, demonology, or anything scary, check out Raven's Peak here.  Also, Lincoln Cole does a lot of giveaways on his website. You can check out his freebies here.  (And no I don't know him and he didn't pay me to write this or add that in--I just happened to find some really great books on Instafreebie on his freebie site by other authors.)
I am currently reading my first shifter book since Twilight, and I am about equally impressed--you can take that however you'd like! I hope to have my review of Something Shifter This Way Comes by Josie Walker soon. One more review and I'll be all caught up!

No comments:

Post a Comment