Friday, October 16, 2015

My Review of The Lot by Chris Morrow

The Lot is the name of the first short story included in this trio of shorter works by award winning author Chris Morrow. I purchased the book in order to read the title story, but I read all three, and I'm glad I did.
The main character in The Lot is a rock music producer named Cody. Even though he was born a couple of decades before me, we have a lot in common in that we both grew up chasing fireflies, untethered from the world with technology, and running around empty lots near our homes.  While I wasn't the one playing baseball, I have legions of memories of watching my older brother play ball in the lot next to my grandma's house and even more memories of watching him play on an actual baseball field, my dad almost always nearby in the dugout as the coach. Regardless of whether or not you grew up with baseball as a part of your life, you have fond memories of running around outside in the summer time, or you just have nostalgia for small town life, this story is sure to strike a cord with you.
It's a quick read. I read it in one sitting in less than thirty minutes, even with my daughter constantly interrupting. But it will stay with you long afterwards, particularly the little twist Morrow throws in toward the end. The introduction of Cody's brother, Adam, is expected and still startling when it finally happens. It is only because Morrow is an outstanding storyteller that he is able to take the expected and turn it into one of those moments that makes the reader say, "Wait. What?"
And Morrow does this in the two other installments included in this selection as well. The second story, Dinner for the Dead is told from the perspective of an actual member of the recently departed. Again, Morrow tells the story so well, you find yourself wondering if he has connections on the other side. How else could he be so familiar with how a haunting works? But this isn't a horror story, not really. It's a provocative look at what one might do when one has passed on, especially if one is desperately searching for absolution, as our main character is. I love it when an author finds a clever way to bring a story back around, and Morrow does this exceptionally well in this one.
The last story in the compilation, Fear and the Storm, manages to take almost every phobia one can imagine and wrap them into one compact, creepy tale.  Jill is afraid of just about everything, and when a terrible storm hits as she and her husband Jim are moving cross-country, she finds herself faced with every single torment imaginable. These nightmare scenarios not only include an impending tornado, but Jill also finds herself in a small, dark, enclosed place where she can both see and hear bugs and rats. Yes, RATS. EEWW! To top it all off, she is faced with the possibility of losing a loved one.  While all of these things make this a great read, the surprise at the end is what will leave you asking your friends if they've read this one yet so you can talk it over.  You're gonna want to hash this one out with somebody--it's just that good.
While it was Morrow's longer work, the award winning The Devil's Choir, that made people start talking, his shorter works are worth a read as well. I highly recommend The Lot. My five star Amazon review hasn't posted yet, but you can see for yourself by purchasing The Lot here. You can also find The Devil's Choir here.
In the interest of full disclosure, I will happily admit that I have met the author, though that does not affect my review.  I know lots of writers and not all of them are particularly talented. Not all of them will get my five star review.

No comments:

Post a Comment