Wednesday, October 7, 2015

My Review of Lady Falls (The Black Rose Trilogy Book 1)

The initial scenes of this novel had me captivated: a young orphan girl tormented by a vulgar headmistress, a sinister stranger showing up in a thunderstorm to "save" her, the promise of vengeance being gained, no matter the cost.  Even the setting--Victorian England (though it seems more Regency to me, which is even better for the story line)--is quite interesting, and from the very beginning, I was lured in by author Renee Bernard's mesmerizing characters. Unfortunately, the strong plot line did not hold throughout and I was left more than slightly disappointed by the conclusion.
However, another of Bernard's talents lies in creating bits of prose and dialogue that sound very much like one would expect for the period (even if her vision seemed a bit off to me).  She certainly knows how to turn a phrase, pick the perfect adjective, and create a beautiful metaphor. I was extremely impressed with her ability to choose colorful words that supported her characters and made them seem real, and for the most part, likable.
Towards the end of the novel, however, when the plot seems to disintegrate, those characters begin to make choices that seem very disingenuous and I agree with more than one fellow reviewer who also said some deus ex machina was happening here.  (If you're not familiar with the term, this is, essentially, when an author makes something happen because it has to--in order to save an otherwise doomed plot.) We are told in the beginning that the Earl of Trent (sometimes called Geoffrey, which is confusing at times) is seeking revenge on someone. We find out pretty quickly that this someone happens to be Phillip Warrick and that the lady of the house, Raven Wells, (remember that orphan?) has fallen for Warrick.  It isn't until very, very, very (did I say very?) late in the story that we are reminded of this--sort of out of the blue.  And the character of Trent goes from a somewhat likable, if not a bit eccentric and power hungry, guy to a soul so despicable you'd think the devil would be hanging out in his war room taking notes.
And what of our hero, Mr. Warrick? Well, he also loses his mind at the end of the book and acts completely out of character, transforming into yet another monstrous, chauvinist oinker.
This is the first in a series of three books, and I don't think I'll be reading the next two. While Bernard is an amazing writer, I am not a fan of her story telling.  This is the opposite of most of the books I have read recently where the story is pretty decent but the writing is unimpressive. I may be willing to give another series or stand alone of hers a try at some point, but as far as Raven Wells is concerned, I can only hope she recovers from the treachery imposed upon her by the two men in her life. Incidentally, this is a cliffhanger and even though the first chapter of the next book is included, there is no resolution--none. So, if that sort of thing drives you crazy, keep it in mind before you make your purchase.
I must also mention there are some pretty explicit scenes in the book, and I would not recommend it for younger readers at all.
You can read my 3 star Amazon review here and check out Lady Falls for yourself here. Current price is 99 cents.
If you have a book you would like for me to review, please send me an email at amyevanhorn@gmail.com.  I am currently reading Seven Sisters by M.L. Bullock.

No comments:

Post a Comment