Wednesday, April 27, 2016

My Review of Sensing Serafina by Elisa Ellis

This is a love story--but not one like any I have ever read before. I spent the first few chapters of the book trying to get a grasp on what is happening. And I don't mean that in a negative way--it isn't as if the author's writing is vague or she leaves us with those plot holes that some of the other books I've written have where you have no idea what is happening because the author just assumes you know. No, in this case, Ellis knows you don't know. And she likes it that way. It's written in a way that keeps you guessing, trying to figure things out on your own, attempting to get there one step ahead of the story. This is the type of story I like to read; it keeps me thinking and engaged.
The main character, Cal, has just come to from a major motorcycle wreck where he has lost his sight. His beloved girlfriend, Serafina, was with him at the time of the wreck.  And when he is finally out of a coma and able to comprehend, his mother tells him that she is gone. Grief stricken, Cal must find a way to go on, now without the love of his life and without his sight. As you can imagine, this is very difficult. He struggles with motivation. As a person who planned on leaving town right after high school graduation, which has happened without him, he now has to change all of his hopes and dreams. Eventually, with his mother's loving guidance, he enrolls in art school and finds he has quite a talent for sculpting. He is finally making friends, including a cute girl.  It looks as if Cal is about to be able to put the pieces of his broken life back together.
And then the unthinkable happens.
Really, I'm a pretty good guesser, and I did not see this coming at all!
It's impossible for me to review the second half of the book without giving the plot twist away, so I won't. I will tell you, however, this is a worthy read. Not only is Ellis's writing style unlike any other writer I've ever read, the creativity that went into the crafting of this story is very unique.  It's definitely worth the time it takes to read it, and it will stay with you after you've read the final chapter.
That isn't to say it's perfect. There were a few things that threw me off a bit, a few things I thought might go a different way. But everything is plausible, and in this particular world, for these particular characters, this is how the story went, and it all works together in the end.
There is some strong language from time to time, as one may expect from a character in Cal's position.
This is a new release, and I think it will do really well! You can buy it for yourself here for only $2.99 and you can check out my five star review here.
If you read it, come back and let us know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment