Thursday, September 24, 2015

My Review of Winter Heat: Chalet Romance Series by Larissa Emerald

In this story, Kelsey, an artist who is attempting to run her father's ski resort while he recovers from an illness, meets the intriguing and rich Jared, who has come to the resort in hopes of discovering what might have happened to his sister who was injured in an accident a few weeks earlier. Some other dangerous events occur, such as a suspicious breakdown in one of the snow mobiles, and it isn't long before Jared begins to realize Kelsey might be in danger.  He is determined to protect her at all costs, even though the local lawman also seems romantically interested in our leading lady. Ultimately, Jared is able to thwart the bad guy and save his woman and her family from harm. I don't think that's a spoiler because you can see it coming from a few slopes away.  However, what I won't give away is the identity of the culprit. That was not as obvious, though I was able to figure it out before the reveal at the end (and you will be, too!).
 I found Kelsey and Jared both to be likable and fairly well-fleshed out. Some of the supporting characters were a bit lacking in development, but it didn't take away from the story for me. I found the setting to be most intriguing and I think that helped drive the story. The ending was a bit ridiculous, but Kelsey and Jared's story held my interest so well that I was willing to accept the final scenes despite their improbability. 
This book is what I would consider a "light" read. I read it in a few hours. It was interesting enough that I had trouble putting it down a few times, but the story is not unique enough that it will stay with me for weeks as some stories do. I really like the author's voice. She did a great job of changing from one point of view to another without too many "head hopping" problems which sometimes occur, although there were a few times I wasn't sure whose head I was in. Nevertheless, the story moved along and kept my interest. There was some sex but it wasn't purposeless, and the story builds to it. I noticed that several editors are listed and yet there were still some mistakes that should have been caught by one of them, but it wasn't so distracting that it was difficult to read. Overall, I would be interested in reading more contemporary romance novels from this author.
You can find my **** review on Amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment